Wednesday, 30 November 2016

Crochet Pikachu Pot

With craft fair season in full swing I've been adding a few more things to my stock. These character pots have been going down quite well so I've made a few more.

In order to stay on trend and 'down with the kids' I made a Pikachu one, since the Pikachu toy we made sold straight away.

In fact I made two! We've been selling these pots with socks in and with sweets in. You can guess which has been more popular with children.

I also had a blank white crochet pot that my Mum made so I thought it would be perfect as a snowman. Tis the season after all. So this guy is roughly based on Olaf; everyone's favourite snowman. Or would that be Frosty the Snowman? Or the snowman from The Snowman?

Thursday, 24 November 2016

Gingerbread House Ornament

I tried making a mini gingerbread house ornament a few years ago but I didn't like the way it looked. Since then I've come up with a better way to do it, which I'm going to share.

 I started the same way, cutting all the sides of the house out of my card of choice; Amazon packaging. Then I glued all the bits together.

 Next I needed to paint the house a gingerbready colour using acrylic paint.

 Here comes the game changer. Using the same polyfiller and water mix in a bottle with small nozzle that I used here I was able to be more precise with the piping of the 'icing'.

Not too bad if I say so myself! I could see myself getting a little production line going and making a whole bunch of these.

Tuesday, 15 November 2016

Candy Cane Holders

Since I have a lot of candy canes around from the candy cane horses I thought I'd try and make something else with them. I remembered seeing something on Pinterest where a character is holding the candy cane so I went with that.

These were pretty easy to make. I sewed the face on a piece of felt first, then made the additional parts, like Rudolph's ears and antlers, and then I sewed the two pieces of felt together adding in two loops of felt to be the hands holding the candy cane.

How cute would these little guys be hanging on a Christmas tree?

Wednesday, 9 November 2016

Candy Cane Horses

My Mum saw this idea for candy cane horses on Pinterest.

Their creation is pretty much all down to her. She does the important crocheting and I just stick on the googly eyes and tie on some red ribbon for the reigns.

These sold pretty well at a Christmas craft fair a couple of weeks ago, with one woman saying they were the perfect present for a horse vet she knows.

Wednesday, 2 November 2016

Lolly Stick Sledge

On a recent trip to Harrod's Christmas World I saw some cute little wooden sledge decorations which inspired me to try making my own version.

On several blogs I'd seen that you can bend lollypop sticks by boiling them so I did just that to try and get the curved runners of the sledge.

Once the sticks had boiled for about half and hour and were cool enough to handle, I left them to dry against the fridge weighed down by the toaster and sugar pot to keep the curve. Kitchen resourcefulness!

I cut the other lolly sticks to size with a craft knife and stuck them altogether with E6000 glue, hoping everything would stay at right angles and not fall apart.

Once the glue dried I decided to paint the little sledge so it didn't just look like a bunch of lolly sticks stuck together. 

I thought the sledge might make a great gift with some chocolates tied to the back.

Tuesday, 25 October 2016

This Week I...

...went to New York with work! We took a group of 39 art students to see the famous galleries and tourists attractions. Even though I've been to New York twice before there were still things on the itinerary that I hadn't done before. These included:

Going to the viewing platform of the Rockefeller Centre. This was actually our third attempt to go up as the first two were rescheduled due to poor visibility.

We went to the Guggenheim. The other art galleries we visited were the Met, the MOMA and the Whitney, all of which I'd visited before, but this was my first time at the Guggenheim. The building is amazing and unlike any other art space I've been to.

On one day we got up super early and headed down town to catch the ferry to Liberty Island and Ellis Island. It was cool to be so close to the Statue of Liberty and we gave the students a competition to see who could produce the best drawing of it, and Ellis Island was very interesting. It's cafe wasn't bad either.

Having got back today I'm thankful that I have the rest of the week off, as it's half term, to recovered from a very busy few days.

Thursday, 13 October 2016

Seattle and Portland Travel Journal

When I went on holiday this summer to Seattle and Portland I took a travel journal with me like I did for my trip to Nashville and New York. Again, it was made from parts of old Paperchase planners. 

I stuck in things we'd collected during the day, like bus tickets and shop receipts, and then wrote about the day around them. I made sure to write about each day on the day, or the next morning at the latest, so I didn't forget anything.  

I found ways to include other things we picked up, like this leaflet for Huber's restaurant; Portland's oldest restaurant. That was a dining experience I don't want to forget! I threaded cotton through two holes I made in the leaflet and tied it around the center spiral.

Once we got home I ordered some prints online of our holiday snaps that I could cut up, punch holes in and add to the book. I love being able to illustrate the stories we'd written about with pictures.