home aboutme myart books shop

Wednesday 5 July 2017

Air Dry Clay Dish

I've made a few different dishes out of Sculpey before but decided to play around with air dry clay for this project. The main reason for this is I had the idea to paint a scene on a dish which I would want to seal with spray varnish, which doesn't always work well with Sculpey.

I bought a small glass dish from a charity shop for 45p to use as a mould for my clay dish. I rolled out some air dry clay and pressed it into the glass dish. I trimmed the edges with a craft knife and went over them with a wet finger to make them smooth.

I gave the clay a couple of days to dry out before painting it. I painted a base layer of white emulsion first and then used acrylic paint to create the scene, which was based on one of my photos from Cromer. Considering I've painted on baubles before, painting on this slightly curved surface was no problem.

 To finish the dish a spray both sides with varnish and then it was ready to hold some shinys!

Pin it!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this is gorgeous! I can't believe it's a dish as well because the details in the painting are amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...