home aboutme myart books shop

Friday 29 July 2016

Painting: Trying Acrylics



I primarily use oil paints for my paintings but inspired by the students at school, who primarily use acrylics, I decided to give them a try.
It turns out they weren't as tricky to use as I'd always thought. With oil paints you can take your time and work back into parts as the paint takes days to dry, but with acrylics you have to work quicker due to the fast drying time. But a bonus of acrylics is that you can cover up something completely with a new layer of paint as the layers don't blend.



Usually I paint from my photos but this painting comes from one of my videos. This clip of my boyfriend was taken during a weekend in Brighton back in April. We stayed at the Artist Residence hotel and that place is super cool. The painting shows part of their restaurant.


I tried not to be so detailed when painting with acrylics and not blend so much like I do when using oil paint, but I kinda can't help it.

The painting is about A3 and done on canvas paper. I'm really pleased, and a little surprised with how it turned out.

3 comments:

  1. This is fantastic - you did such an amazing job without having used acrylics much before!

    -Clarissa @ The View From Here

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my experience Acrylics are much more forgiving. The depth of color you have on this painting is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa! I love this, especially how the light looks reflecting off the tea pot. I can't believe that you don't use acrylics often, this looks like you are an old pro!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...