home aboutme myart books shop

Thursday 26 November 2015

Model School Detail

Here's another detail from the model school I'm working on. At the top on the building there's this thing which I don't know the name for.


When thinking about how I was going to make it I remembered a technique I'd seen in David Neat's model making book. It said to use polyfiller to build up the shapes.
The book recommended applying the polyfiller using a small squeezy container with a small nozzle, which I managed to find at school. The filler I had from when I tried to make mini cardboard gingerbread houses.


Once I'd got the filler in the container, and added a little bit of water, it was ready to apply. I'd printed off the image I was creating at the right size and stuck it to a piece of mount board. This meant I could just trace over the picture with the filler. I found that once the filler has dried a little and formed a skin I was able to work into it with a cocktail stick to sculpt it.
I applied about 4 layers of filler altogether, allowing each layer to dry first.

Once the filler was completely dry, which happened over the weekend, I painted it with acrylics.
I'm really pleased with how this turned out and how well the technique worked. I think I'll be using it a lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...