home aboutme myart books shop

Tuesday 21 April 2015

Classroom Display Beach Painting

The topic for this term in my class is the seaside so the class teacher asked me if I would do a big painting for a classroom display. Since it was the Easter holidays I agreed.

The painting is 2.13 x 1.29m so outside was the best place to do it, and luckily the weather was quite warm and sunny on the day I chose.
We had decided that I would do the painting on fabric so it would be easy to roll, so I found and old sheet to use. Since it was for school I used their poster paints and I continue to be amazed what I can produce with the stuff (like with the winter painting I did for the classroom).

The is the biggest painting I've ever done and it was a bit tricky as I couldn't see the whole thing all as once as it was bigger than the table I was working on. I could have put more detail in but since it's only for a classroom display and I'd already spent over 6 hours on it I decided this was a good place to stop.
Sidenote: I binged-listened through the first half of Serial while painting it. I know, late to the party, but I'm all caught up now!

Once we were back to school I stapled the painting to the wall, trimmed the edges and attached the border.

And this is what it looks like now with all the topic words and other seasidey things added.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...