home aboutme myart books shop

Thursday 12 September 2013

Up-cycled Dress

This dress was another up-cycled project.
I love it!

 The dress started life like this.
It was actually my Mum's dress that she bought from a fashion show my school had.
My lower school. That's how old this dress is.

This photo also shows how long I've been meaning to do this project as it was taken in September 2011 right before I got my Mum to shorten it.
Then it stayed in my wardrobe for two years. Every so often I would think about it but never come to any conclusions on what to do with it.
Until last week.

 
I started by cutting the straps off the dress so it would sit lower.
I also added elastic round the middle so it would be more fitted.

I did this by sewing bias tape to the inside of the dress and threading the elastic through.

I found a t-shirt I never wear and altered the neckline to be more flattering, and then sewed the dress to it, re-shaping the dress where the straps had been.
Then I gathered the fabric at the front and sewed part of one of the dress straps over it.

I love how this dress turned out. I think it's so cute.

1 comment:

  1. You did such a great job on your upcycle! Very cute!

    xoxo,
    Laura
    http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...